Creation of the Monaco Digital Advisory Council
On 28 and 29 November 2018, the Monaco Digital Advisory Council (MDAC) met for the first time in Monaco, chaired by H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco. This Committee is comprised of global experts from the public and private sectors in the field of digital technology. Its main mission is to advise Monaco on its strategic vision with regard to digital technology and on implementing its actions.
The creation of a committee of digital experts in Monaco sends a strong signal from the Principality of its ambition for digital transition in the service of its population and its influence at the international level.
Digital transition is the greatest challenge for countries, businesses and individuals. The positioning of each entity and the ability to benefit from this revolution will determine the winners in the current economy and the economy of the future.
The creation of the MDAC, which is comprised of the global elite from public and private institutions that have links to the technology sector, is an asset for achieving these objectives.
The MDAC is led by Mr. Frédéric Genta, Country Chief Digital Officer. It missions are many-fold:
- proposing solutions to the main challenges facing the Principality in the field of digital technology,
- putting their networks and companies at the service of the Principality
- acting as ambassadors for the Monegasque digital transition outside Monaco.
This initiative is fully in line with the digital shift taken by Monaco since March 2018 with the creation of the Digital Transition Office, a Government entity comprised of 110 people and headed by Frédéric Genta, which deals with all these issues (including platforms, telecoms, education, mobility, the digital economy, innovation, etc.).
Ten well-known figures are taking part in the first MDAC
Ten experts from the public and private sectors worldwide accepted an invitation to attend the first MDAC, which is taking place until this evening in Monaco:
- NICK JENNINGS: Professor of Artificial Intelligence at IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON, who is internationally recognised as an expert in this field.
- MARC-ANDRE KAMEL: A Monegasque national and a Partner and Director of BAIN & COMPANY. He heads the Distribution and Luxury division for Europe, the Middle East and Africa and is one of the leaders of the Transformation and Customer Strategy and Marketing divisions.
- AXELLE LEMAIRE: Former Secretary of State for Digital Technology in France and a partner in the consulting firm ROLAND BERGER.
- HANI MAHMASSANI: A Professor at NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY, who is considered a world expert in the mobility sector.
- HIROSHI MIKITANI: Founder and CEO of RAKUTEN, Japan's largest digital platform.
- KRISHNAKUMAR NATARAJAN: Co-founder and Executive President of MINDTREE, India's leading IT company with regard to smart city issues.
- NIKLAS MYHR: A Professor at Chapman University, who is considered the world's leading expert on social networks.
- DIEGO PIACENTINI: Government Commissioner for Digital Matters in Italy, the first Vice-President of AMAZON and its second largest shareholder ($3.2 billion).
- BALAJI SRINIVASAN: Co-founder of COINBASE (the largest Blockchain company) and an Associate of ANDREESSEN HOROWITZ (the largest Californian venture capital fund).
- GUNHILD STORDALEN: Founder and Executive President of the EAT FOUNDATION.
Drawing upon their expertise and diverse backgrounds, these experts will formulate recommendations to help define the Principality's digital vision and strategy and how it will be drawn up and implemented by the Prince's Government under the authority of H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince.
The MDAC focuses on a set of clearly defined areas of work, in fields where its members' specific skills and influence can have the greatest impact.
It makes it possible to build bridges and create partnerships between Monaco and the partners represented at the Council and leaders in the digital sector.
It plays an important role in forming linkages between the public authorities and industry, to ensure that the Principality is the best place to start and develop a digital business and to put innovative solutions to the test.