New Regulations on Noise From and Working Hours of Construction Sites
Two Ministerial Decrees on noise from and working hours of construction sites were published in the Journal de Monaco today, Friday 7 December 2018.
The aim of these texts is to optimise the quality of life in the Principality. They concern:
- increased control of the working hours and duration of work of construction sites;
- the creation of measures to limit noise from construction sites (for full information, see the attached technical factsheet).
These changes to the texts in force are in response to the high expectations of the resident population. They also respond to the needs of construction professionals, who can only make improvements and set an example via a stronger regulatory basis.
It is important to point out that representatives of the Council of the Order of Architects, the Monaco Real Estate Developers' Union and the Construction Sector Employers' Chamber were consulted prior to the planned reform. They also intervened twice during the finalisation of the new regulations.
The aim of these new texts is to:
- simplify and harmonise the applicable texts, in particular on the working hours and duration of work of construction sites;
- create or strengthen the rules governing the operation of construction sites, through an understanding of the resulting nuisances;
- work towards exemplary construction sites.
A Ministerial Decree of September 2010 has already brought about significant improvement in the control of the working hours of construction sites by reducing the daily working times, which, since 1930, had authorised work to be carried out from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
The problem of noise nuisance also led the Department of the Environment to prepare a circular, in 2011, on noise from construction sites.
You will find three Monaco Info topics on the nuisance reduction measures implemented in the Principality:
- On Friday 7 December, on work in the Rue Louis Notari (noise barriers and a fully covered sawing workshop)
- Monday 10 December, on work in the Portier district (mitigation schemes concerning the loading of rubble – skips and lorries)
- Tuesday 11 December, on work carried out in the Avenue d'Ostende (noise barriers).
Photos Credit: © Michael Alesi/Government Communication Department