The Throne of the Princes of Monaco, which symbolises the monarchy, is made of sculpted gilt-wood and topped by a gilt-framed crown. The thrown is completed by a gold-embroidered velvet canopy, inside of which feature the coats of arms of the Sovereign Family, as well as the princes’ motto “Deo Juvante”, Latin for “With God’s Help”. The Empire-style throne dates to 1881.
The Throne Room is the ceremonial room of the Palace, and the Principality’s historical occasions and ceremonies have been held here since the 16th century. It is in this room that, upon the succession of each prince, the swearing-in ceremony of the new Sovereign takes place. The civil marriage of Princess Charlotte and Mr Pierre de Polignac took place in this room in 1920, as did that of Prince Rainier III with Ms Grace Patricia Kelly on 18 April 1956. Finally, the marriage of H.S.H. Prince Albert II and Ms Charlene Wittstock was celebrated here on 1 July 2011.