Extraordinary Meeting of the Scientific and Technical Committee of the Pelagos Agreement
The Scientific and Technical Committee of the Pelagos Agreement* held an extraordinary meeting on Monday 5 and Friday 9 July 2021, by video conference.
The meeting took place in the presence of representatives of the three member countries (France, Italy and the Principality of Monaco) and a large number of observers (from ACCOBAMS, RAMOGE, the CPMR, MIRACETI, the CIMA Research Foundation, OceanCare, ETC-UMA, WWF France, etc.).
The topics discussed at this meeting were the next Management Plan (2022-2027) for the Agreement, which sets out a new vision for the implementation of activities in the Sanctuary; the work programme and the provisional budget for the 2022-2023 biennium. In addition, the Scientific and Technical Committee took note of the progress of the international projects funded by the Agreement. Proposals for management measures, developed with the aim of reducing threats from human activities in the Sanctuary area, were also discussed.
Finally, the Scientific and Technical Committee made recommendations that will be submitted to the next Meeting of the Parties to the Pelagos Agreement, to be held in late 2021.
* As a reminder, the Pelagos Agreement on the establishment of a Sanctuary for Mediterranean Marine Mammals was signed in Rome on 25 November 1999 by Italy, France and the Principality of Monaco and entered into force on 21 February 2002. Its aim is to protect marine mammals and their habitats from all types of disturbance. The Pelagos Sanctuary is also a Specially Protected Area of Mediterranean Importance (SPAMI) under the Barcelona Convention and is the only international marine protected area in the Mediterranean devoted to the protection of marine mammals.
Autres actualités du thème
Principality of Monaco joins forces with 14 other countries in appeal to world’s governments - “Work together to protect nature!”
- The latest news of the Responsible Trading and Responsible Restaurant Certifications
- Guide d'interdiction des sacs plastiques à usage unique - un sac pour la vie
- Guide to responsible, safe bathing in the Principality
- The Tree Code
- The Environment in the Principality of Monaco – Data Compendium
- Monaco Environment booklet