Moi(s) sans tabac stop smoking campaign
Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death, in addition to being responsible for a huge number of serious conditions. Smokers know about these risks, and the majority of them (60%) would like to stop.
To help them achieve their goal, the Prince’s Government was keen for the Principality of Monaco to get involved as a partner in the first Moi(s) sans tabac campaign, led by the French Ministry of Health, the French health insurance system and Santé publique France , the new French national public health agency.
What is Moi(s) sans tabac?
Moi(s) sans tabac is a public health initiative being coordinated by the French Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. It involves encouraging and supporting all smokers, through community-based communication and prevention activities, to give up smoking for 30 days this November.
Moi(s) sans tabac has been inspired by the Stoptober initiative, first introduced by Public Health England in 2012.
Why provide support for a month?
- after stopping for 28 consecutive days, the chances of giving up smoking for good increase five-fold
- the English initiative showed that the number of attempts to stop smoking increased by 50% during prevention campaigns
How the Moi(s) sans tabac campaign will work
A media campaign (TV, posters, Internet, mobile) led by France from 10 October will be disseminated by health professionals and relevant organisations in the Principality of Monaco. The aim is to put in place local activities to arouse interest among smokers and support them in their bid to quit.
From 10 October, potential participants will be encouraged to sign up to quit smoking by registering via:
- the Tabac Info Service website (http://www.tabac-info-service.fr/)
- the Tabac Info Service smartphone app
- telephone number 39.89
On 1 November, participants begin their attempt to stop smoking, and will receive day-to-day support.
the Tabac Info Service website (http://www.tabac-info-service.fr ) will publish information to help smokers prepare before 1 November and increase their chances of success
- support from stop smoking specialists will be available by telephoning 39.89 from any mobile phone or landline
- a Tabac Info Service app will offer personalised coaching from stop smoking specialists
- a stop smoking help kit can be collected for free from the campaign’s partner chemists, and includes:
- Je me prépare (I’m Preparing) book
- 30 jours pour arrêter de fumer (30 Days to Stop Smoking) calendar
- Le stress ne passera pas par moi (No More Stress) card
- Je retrouve la forme pas les formes (I’m Getting Fit Not Fat) sticker
- Je calcule mes économies (Calculating My Savings) wheel
- Moi(s) sans tabac badge
Princess Grace Hospital’s specialist stop smoking consultation service can be reached by telephoning 220.127.116.11.
The Principality of Monaco’s health professionals, who are partnering with the campaign, will be available to those participating in Moi(s) sans tabac, and will provide the support they need.
The Moi(s) sans tabac campaign is an opportunity to send out a strong message on combatting the serious diseases caused by tobacco consumption.
For Stéphane Valeri, Minister of Health and Social Affairs, “this Franco-Monegasque collaboration on public health communications gives Monaco a chance to get involved in a huge awareness campaign. The Government and Princess Grace Hospital are coordinating to ensure that this very important initiative has the widest possible reach.”