Letters of Congratulation are Presented to Deserving Police Officers
Yesterday evening, in the presence of the highest Monegasque authorities, Serge Telle, Minister of State, in his Residence, presented letters of congratulation to deserving police officers who had carried out their duties with devotion and self-sacrifice.
"Above all, I am pleased that we are paying homage to those who ensure our daily security with determination, courage and talent. Security is the first freedom. It is security that ensures our social contract. It is security that guarantees our future," he declared.
At the express request of H.E. the Minister of State, these police officers will also be presented with the "Exceptional Service Badge" at the next National Day. The reasons for the awards are as follows:
- On 18 September 2016, four police officers prevented an individual from committing suicide, in the Boulevard du Larvotto;
- On 22 December 2016, fourteen police officers intervened in an armed robbery in the Graff jewellery store, during which a hostage was taken. Their action made it possible to intercept the robber as he fled, before he left the Principality. H.E. the Minister of State also wished to include the security officer from Monaco Sécurité Privée, who raised the alarm.
Finally, Serge Telle explained that the Government, which constantly strives to improve working conditions and is aware of the efforts made by everyone on a daily basis, had decided to:
- re-evaluate night-time working hours, with effect from 15 November 2015;
- provide the Police Department with new human and material resources in 2017;
- carry out a study on time off in compensation for overtime duty hours, with the two-fold aim of avoiding their increase and identifying avenues for reabsorbing those already accumulated.