United Nations – Monaco reaffirms support for oceans, marine biodiversity and science
On Tuesday 8 December, the agenda for the United Nations General Assembly in New York was devoted to the oceans and the law of the sea. The Principality of Monaco’s contribution to the discussion highlighted the fact that the challenges associated with the oceans, climate change and biodiversity were all interlinked.
2020 was set to have been an important milestone for Biodiversity and the Ocean, but the COVID-19 pandemic caused the planned major international events to be postponed. Monaco will, however, with great determination, participate in the crucial meetings* of 2021. These will be vital in setting ambitious targets to combat climate change, protect the seas and oceans, and restore biodiversity.
There was also a reminder that the Principality has hosted the International Hydrographic Organization for nearly 100 years, as well as the IAEA Environment Laboratories, which are now led by a Monegasque scientist, appointed this year.
The symposium on the links between the ocean and human health, organised very recently by Monaco Scientific Centre, the Prince Albert II Foundation and Boston College, was also mentioned.
* United Nations conference to support the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development; Working group to draft a High Seas Biodiversity Agreement; 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26); and the 15th Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity.
Autres actualités du thème
Accreditation of H.E. Ms Anne EASTWOOD as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Monaco to Italy
Diplomacy: accreditation of new ambassadors from Nigeria – Panama – San Marino – United Arab Emirates
- Diplomacy and International Presence
- Monaco's Participation in International Organisations
- Monaco and the European Union
- Public Aid for Development and International Cooperation
- International Tax Compliance
- Sustainable Development
- Agreements and Treaties
- Travel advice